Salient Features of Academic Curriculum
1. Current Academic Programmes: In the academic year 2014-15 following courses are being offered: four Integrated UG programmes, viz., BA.BEd., BSc.BEd., BA.LLB (Hons)., BSc.LLB (Hons)., and 16 PG programmes, viz., MSc in Bioinformatics, MSc in Biotechnology, MSc in Computer Science, MTech in Computer Science, MSc in Environmental Science, MSc in Mathematics, MSc in Life Science, MSc in Statistics, MA in Communication and Media Studies, MA in Development Studies, MA in Economics, MA in English, MA in Hindi, MA in Political Science and International Relations, MA in Psychology, and MA in Sociology. In addition, the university also offers Integrated MPhil – PhD Programmes in six subjects, viz., Life Science, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, and Political Science and International Relations, having high weightage in taught part of respective courses.
2. Semester System: Semester system is followed in all of the academic programmes in order to enlarge curricular space and encourage more learning opportunities. Moreover, the latter enhances the ability to accommodate diverse choices that dynamic and motivated students may like to have. The decisions regarding faculty-to-students contact hours during a semester in different programmes; the decision regarding the credit system determining the quantum of class room learning hours; elements of participatory teaching-learning process; field-work; lab-work; and, other curricular work are taken by various academic bodies of the university.
3. Choice-Based Credit System (CBCS): It has some unique features, such as enhanced learning opportunities, ability to match student's scholastic needs and aspirations, horizontal intra-, and inter-School/ Centre mobility of students, inter-institutional transferability of students, improvement in educational quality and excellence, flexibility for working students to complete the programme over an extended period of time, innovation and comparability of educational programmes across the country. CBCS will facilitate vertical integration of knowledge and holistic development of self.
4. Evaluation System: 'Continuous Internal Evaluation' is the central feature of the evaluation system in this university. A teacher who offers the course is the best person to assess performance of the students. However, there is the end-semester evaluation. And, to ensure transparency, fairness, and accountability appropriate mechanisms have been devised.
5. Infrastructure and ambience: All appropriate steps are taken to create and maintain infrastructure required for quality teaching and research.
6. Psychological Counselling and Guidance Services: Like physical health, mental health determines efficiency and productivity. Mental health is critically important to teaching-learning processes, creativity and congenial environment in academic institutions. The university adopts a forward looking approach and provides psychological counselling and guidance services to the students, faculty and employees. Innovative programmes, such as 'Crises Intervention Programmes' and 'Community Mental Health Programme' are planned to be developed.
7. Governance: The university has been evolving dynamic, transparent, equal-opportunity governance, and need based capacity-building system. It had been moving towards e-governance and continuous training of the personnel to make the university system ‘user-friendly’. Professional enrichment of education administrators would become a necessary component for the capacity building of the university administration.
8. Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation: The ‘Internal Quality Assurance Cell’ is to ensure progressive improvement in efficiency of the university administration. The Planning, Development and Monitoring Board (PDMB) with appropriate powers and functions is instituted following UGC guidelines.
9. Admission and its National Character: UGC guidelines are followed in the university admission process. Efforts are made to have students from all over the country. And, to achieving the same, entrance test is conducted on an all-India basis through CUSBET (Central University of South Bihar Entrance Test)