School of Management is presently running the Department of Commerce & Business Studies formally set up in 2018. It has imbibed the CUSB tradition of exploring new frontiers of knowledge and innovation in academics. The Vision of the School is to emerge as a Centre of Excellence in interdisciplinary approaches to studies and research involving Commerce and Management. Following the University Motto “Collective Reasoning”, emphasis is being given on application of theories in real life situations to enhance business skills and employability of students through various other measures like personality development, project work, mock interviews and role plays etc.
The Department of Commerce & Business Studies offers two years (four semester) Master of Commerce (M. Com.) with specialization in Accounting and Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management and Banking & Insurance. The M. Com Degree Programme has been designed, updated and imparted to develop conceptual and analytical skills among students in line with the industry requirements. The course structure has a judicious mix of theoretical and practical reasoning to meet the industry requirements which gives a comprehensive insight of commerce along with an overview of other management areas. The Department has experienced faculty and has plan to invite experts from industry as well as academia from reputed institutions on need basis. The course is enriched to inculcate research culture and to get an exposure to the working of corporate environment.
Objectives of the Programme
The M. Com. Degree Programme has a distinct objective to equip the students with knowledge, skills and attitude to become more suitable for the present as well as emerging job markets. The design of the syllabus is student-centred where there is flexibility for the students to have a greater choice of courses appropriate to their interests, needs and sustainability. The courses are offered with Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) thus facilitating the students to have 100 Credits spread over 4 semesters for mastering the subject for the award of Master Degree in Commerce. The students can opt for elective courses of his/her choice and based on his/her aptitude from four elective groups of courses. Another important aspect of the M. Com Degree Programme is that it gives students an opportunity to study and opt for the inter-disciplinary courses other than the Commerce domain with minimum of 08 Credits which can go up to 16 Credits in the form of Elective courses in order to leverage the competitive advantage of the M. Com. students.
To be precise, the objectives of M. Com. Degree programme are as under:
- The course is intended to impart intensive knowledge and ethical education to students in the subject and help them to acquire wider perspectives both for research and for professional applications.
- To provide foundation for further advanced studies and research in the area of Commerce such as M.Phil. and Ph. D. Programmes. It shall aim to enable master graduates in Commerce to qualify UGC-NET/SET and JRF examinations so that they can take-up the work of teaching or research of high quality and to prepare future commerce teachers who will be sharing their knowledge and skills with utmost sincerity and seriousness.
- To provide qualitative education at post-graduate level by imparting entrepreneurial skills for starting new business ventures.
- To allow M. Com. Graduates to choose for further advanced studies in different specialisation of Commerce such as Accounting and Finance, Human Resource Management and Marketing etc.
- To make the students business-oriented so as to improve their employability and enable M. Com. Graduates for a wide range of career dealing with the flow of money, from accountant to investment banker/financial analyst, and money manager to personal finance consultant etc.
- To provide a platform that facilitates all round development of a student’s personality.
The courses are detailed in such a way that it will provide ample exposure to the students in pursuit of their career in the field of corporates, academics and research organizations involved in policy-making and policy analysis etc.
- The M. Com. Degree Programme of the University has three types of courses, viz,.Core courses, Elective courses, and Self-study/Skill-based courses.
- The Department has crafted a teaching-learning methodology which has a strong interface with cutting-edge technology in the form of smart classes with innovative Continuous Assessment System comprising of written test, class participation, oral quiz, surprise tests etc.
- M.Com. students will be given access to various databases like Prowess, EBSCO, Bloomberg, etc. and train them to work on statistical software like SPSS, R & E-Views for understanding market research, trends while facilitating an overall understanding of academia-industry interface.
- Thrust will be given on sharpening of personality traits in order to make the candidate employable & industry ready. The Department shall appoint a Mentor for each student from amongst the faculty members of the Department.
- Efforts shall be made to provide special assistance, subject to availability of resources, to economically & socially backward as well as physically challenged students in preparation of various competitive examinations like UGC-NET, JRF, Banking & Insurance and Civil services etc.
Master of Commerce is one of the reputed post-graduate courses available in India. M.Com. degree serves as a basis for further higher studies and research leading to the award of M.Phil. /Ph.D. degree. After successfully completing M. Com. Degree programme, a student can also take up teaching assignments by qualifying the UGC-NET/JRF in Commerce. This course is equally suitable for those candidates who are willing to pursue Chartered Accountancy (ICAI), Cost & Works Accountant (ICWA), Cost Management Accountant (ICMAI), Company Secretary (ICSI) or Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA) programme. The following are some other areas/sectors where M. Com. Students can aim for a rewarding career options –
- Various Public and Private Business Organizations in their Finance, Marketing, Research & Development and Human Resource Department etc.
- Research Associates with Economic Consultancy Firms
- Income Tax Department
- Customs Department
- Foreign Trade Companies
- State Public Service Commissions.
- UPSC (Indian Civil Services, Indian Economic Services, Indian Statistical Services)
- Mutual Funds/NBFCs/Banking/Insurance Industry
- E-Commerce Services/Online/Retail/FMCG Sector.
Faculty Members under Department of Commerce and Business Studies:
(Click on Faculty Name for details Profile)
Name, Qualification & Designation
M.Com, M.B.A. UGC-NET (Commerce & Management)
M.B.A., UGC NET-JRF (Management)