EXPERIENCE: 13 Years. Dr Amiya Priyam is an Associate Professor and currently heading the Dept. of Chemistry at CUSB, Gaya. He has more than 13 years of experience in teaching, research and academic administration. He has supervised 2 PhD theses and currently guiding two PhD students. Besides teaching and research, he has also played a key role as the warden of the boys’ hostel. The educational background of Dr. Priyam includes BSc(Honors) and MSc in Chemistry from University of Delhi. After earning PhD degree from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, he worked as post-doctoral fellow in the Department of Chemistry, Florida State University, USA. His second post-doctoral stint was in the Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore Prior to joining CUSB in 2013, he also worked as Assistant Professor at Dept. of Applied Chemistry, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi (2011-2013).
Research in our nano-chemistry lab is focused on synthesis and biomedical applications of photoactive nanomaterials. These are materials which get activated by light. Principally, we are working on two types of photoactive materials: 1. Luminescent and 2. Plasmonic nanomaterials. The two types of luminescent nanomaterials that have caught our imagination are: a. Semiconductor nanocrystals or quantum dots (QDs) and b. Lanthanide based upconversion nanocrystals (UCNs). We are developing soft chemical routes to obtain water soluble, biocompatible, highly luminescent and stable nanocrystals with narrow size distribution. Amongst Plasmonic nanomaterials, we have developeanisotropic and hollow silver nanocrystals with versatile plasmon tunability from visible to the near-IR spectral region. Such nanocrystals are then utilized for developing new non-invasive biomedical techniques for cancer diagnosis and treatment based on synergistic imaging and therapy of deep-seated tumours. Plasmonic photocatalysis using hollow silver nanocrystals is another area which looks quite promising.
Glimpses of our recent research works
- Synthesis, Self-Assembly and non-linear absorption and refraction of ZnTe Quantum dots (ACS Omega 2021 https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsomega.1c05449)
- Folate-mediated Synthesis of Plasmonic Hollow Silver Nanocubes
- Femtosecond laser-induced saturable absorption in Hollow Silver Nanocubes
- Folic Acid capped anisotropic Silver nanocrystalss for combined chemo-photothermal therapy
- Shape and size-dependent non-linear optical properties of silver nanopyramids
(ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2018, https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsanm.8b01110 )
(ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2020, https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsanm.0c02776)
(RSC Advances 2020, https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2020/ra/d0ra05793b )
(Photochemical & Photobiological sciences, 2017. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/pp/c7pp00257b)
- S.K. Patra, B.K .Dadhich, B. Bhushan, R.K. Choubey, A. Priyam*, Nonlinear Absorption and Refraction of Highly Monodisperse and Luminescent ZnTe Quantum Dots and Its Self-Assembled Nanostructures: Implications for Optoelectronic Devices, ACS Omega, 2021, 6, 31375 https://doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.1c05449 (Impact Factor: 3.5).
- B.K .Dadhich, S. Bhattacharya, S. Ballav, B. Bhushan, P.K. Datta, A. Priyam*, Femtosecond-Laser-Induced Saturable Absorption and Optical Limiting of Hollow Silver Nanocubes: Implications for Optical Switching and Bioimaging, ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2020, 3, 11620-11629 (Impact Factor: 5.1)
- P. Bose, A. Priyam, R. Kar, S.P. Pattanayak, Quercetin-loaded, folate-targeted plasmonic silver nanoparticles for light-activated chemo-photothermal therapy of DMBA induced breast cancer in Sprague Dawley rats, RSC Advances, 2020. 10, 31961-31978. (Impact Factor :3.1)
- P. Bose, A. Priyam & S.P. Pattanayak, Herniarin, a natural coumarin loaded novel targeted plasmonic silver nanoparticles for light activated chemo-photothermal therapy in preclinical model of breast cancer , Pharmacognosy Magazine, 2020, 16, 474.
- AK Sinha, B. Bhushan*, N Gupta, S Sen, CL Prajapat, J Nuwad, P Bhatt, SK Mishra, SS Meena, A Priyam, Effect of cobalt-doping on dielectric, magnetic and optical properties of BiFeO3 nanocrystals synthesized by sol – gel technique, Solid State Sciences, 2020, 102, 106168 (Impact Factor: 2.15)
- B. K. Dadhich, B. Bhushan and A. Priyam*, “Hollow Silver Nanostructures: The Role of Capping Agents in Tailoring the Shape, Structure, and Plasmonic Properties”, Microscopy and Microanalysis, 2019, DOI: 10.1017/S1431927619000473 (Impact Factor: 4.1)
- AK Sinha, B Bhushan, RK Sharma, S Sen, BP Mandal, SS Meena, P Bhatt, CL Prajapat, A Priyam, SK Mishra, SC Gadkari, “Enhanced dielectric, magnetic and optical properties of Cr-doped BiFeO3 multiferroic nanoparticles synthesized by sol-gel route”, Results in Physics, 2019, 13, 102299. (Impact Factor: 3.04).
- A.Puhan, B. Bhushan, V.Kumar, H.S.Panda, A. Priyam, D.Das, D.Rout, “Tailoring the structural, optical and magnetic properties of BiFeO3 multiferroic nanoparticles by Ba, Cr co-doping, Materials Science and Engineering: B, 2019, 241, 48-54. (Impact Factor: 3.5)
- B. K. Dadhich, B.Bhushan, A.Saha and A. Priyam*, “Folate-Directed Shape-Transformative Synthesis of Hollow Silver Nanocubes: Plasmon Tunability, Growth Kinetics, and Catalytic Applications” ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2018, 1, 4294–4305.
- Pattanayak, A. Swarnkar, P. Paik, A. Priyam*, Seed geometry and hydrogen bonding dependent plasmonic tuning of silver nanocrystals in a citrate–hydrazine matrix and SERS spectroscopic detection of chromium RSC Advances, 2017, 7, 45911-45919. (Impact Factor: 3.05)
- B.K. Dahich, I. Kumar, R.K. Choubey and A. Priyam*, Shape and Size Dependent Nonlinear Refraction and Absorption in Citrate-stabilized, Near-IR Plasmonic Silver Nanopyramids, Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences, 2017, 16, 1556-1562 (Impact Factor: 2.9)
- S. K. Patra, B. Bhushan and A. Priyam*, Water-Soluble, Luminescent ZnTe Quantum Dots:Superstauration-Controlled Synthesis and Self-Assembly into Nanoballs, Nanonecklaces and Nanowires, Dalton Transactions, 2016, 45, 3918 (Impact Factor: 4.09) DOI: 10.1039/C5DT04142B
- Pattanayak, A.Swarnkar, A.Priyam* and G.M. Bhalerao, Citrate–hydrazine hydrogen-bonding driven single-step synthesis of tunable near-IR plasmonic, anisotropic silver nanocrystals: implications for SERS spectroscopy of inorganic oxoanions, Dalton Transactions, 2014, 43, 11826-11833, (Impact Factor: 4.09)
- Pattanayak, A. Priyam* and P. Paik, Facile tuning of plasmon bands in hollow silver nanoshells using mild reductant and mild stabilizer, Dalton Transactions, 2013 , 42, 10597-10607 (Impact Factor: 4.09). (The paper has got citations in 12 US Patents)
- Priyam, N.M. Idris, Y. Zhang, Gold Nanoshell Coated NaYF4 nanoparticles for simultaneously enhanced upconversion fluorescence and darkfield imaging, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22 (2012) 960 (Impact Factor: 6.6). (The paper has got 190 citations so far. It has been cited in several top tier journals such as Nature Nanotechnology, Chemical Reviews, Chemical Society Review etc.)
- Chatterjee, A. Priyam, S. C. Bhattacharya, A. Saha, “Interaction of luminescent ZnS nanoparticles with flavins and flavoprotein: A fluorimetric investigation”, Journal of Luminescence, 132 (2012) 545. (IF: 2.73)
- Bhushan, D. Das, A. Priyam, N. Y. Vasanthacharya, S. Kumar, “Enhancing the magnetic characteristics of BiFeO3 nanoparticles by Ca, Ba codoping”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 135 (2012) 144. (IF: 2.20)
- Priyam, D.E. Blumling and K.L. Knappenberger, Jr., “Synthesis, Characterization and Self-organization of Dendrimer-encapsulated HgTe Quantum Dots”, Langmuir, 26 (2010) 10636. (Impact Factor : 3.78).Cited in Nature Photonics (IF: 29.2),
- Priyam, S. C. Bhattacharya and A. Saha, “Volatile Interface of biological oxidant and luminescent CdTe quantum dots: Implications in nanodiagnostics”, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 11 (2009) 520. (IF : 3.90)
- Priyam, A.Chatterjee, S. C. Bhattacharya, A. Saha, “Conformation and activity dependent interaction of biofunctionalized CdTe quantum dots with glucose oxidase: towards developing a nanoparticle-based enzymatic assay” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, 8 (2009) 362. (IF: 2.9)
- Priyam, S. Ghosh, S. C. Bhattacharya and A. Saha, “Supersaturation driven tailoring of photoluminescence efficiency and size distribution: A simplified approach for producing high quality, biocompatible quantum dots”, Journal of Colloids and Interface Science, 333 (2009) 195. (IF: 6.3)
- Priyam, A. Chatterjee, S. K. Das and A. Saha, Size dependent interaction of biofunctionalized CdS nanoparticles with tyrosine at different pH, Chemical Communications, 32 (2005) 4122. (IF: 6.3)
- Priyam, A. Chatterjee, S. C. Bhattacharya, and A. Saha, “Surface-functionalized Cadmium Chalcogenide Nanoparticles: A Spectroscopic Investigation of Growth and Photoluminescence”, Journal of Crystal Growth, 304 (2007) 416. (IF: 1.57)
- Priyam, A. Chatterjee, S. K. Das and A. Saha, “Synthesis and spectral studies of cysteine capped CdS nanoparticles”, Research on Chemical Intermediates, 31 (2005) 691. (IF:2.06)
- Ghosh, A. Priyam, S. C. Bhattacharya and A. Saha, “Mechanistic aspects of quantum dot based probing of Cu (II) ions: Role of dendrimer in sensor efficiency”, Journal of Fluorescence, 19 (2009) 723. (IF: 2.7)
- Ghosh, A. Priyam and A. Saha, “Surface Charge Tunability and Size Dependent Luminescence Anisotropy of Aqueous Synthesized ZnS/Dendrimer Nanocomposites”, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 9 (2009) 6726. (IF:1.35)
- Ghosh, A. Priyam, A. Chatterjee and A. Saha, “Size tunability of CdTe crystallites in dendrimer nanocomposites and temperature dependent focusing of size distribution”, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 8 (2008) 5952. (IF:1.35)
- Datta, A. Priyam, S. N. Bhattacharyya, K. K. Mukherjea and A. Saha, “Temperature tunability of size in CdS nanoparticles and photocatalytic degradation of nitroaromatics”, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 322 (2008) 128. (IF: 6.3)
- Chatterjee, A. Priyam, S.C. Bhattacharya and A. Saha, “pH dependent interaction of biofunctionalized CdS nanoparticles with nucleotides and nucleobases” Journal of Luminescence, 126 (2007) 764. (IF: 2.73)
- Chatterjee, A. Priyam, S. K. Das and A. Saha, “Size tunable synthesis of cysteine-capped CdS nanoparticles by γ-irradiation” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 294 (2006) 334. (IF: 6.3)
- Datta, A. Priyam, S. Chatterjee, A. K. Sinha, S. N. Bhattacharyya and A. Saha, “Gamma radiation induced differential growth of CdS nanoparticles capped with aliphatic and aromatic thiols” Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 301 (2007) 239. (IF: 3.1)
- Chatterjee, A. Priyam, S.C. Bhattacharya and A. Saha, “Differential growth and photoluminescence properties of ZnS nanocrystals with variation of surfactant molecules”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 297 (2007) 258. (IF: 3.1)
- K. Mishra, S. K.Chaudhuri, S. Mukherjee, A. Priyam, A. Saha and D. Das, "Characterization of defects in ZnO nanocrystals: Photoluminescence and positron annihilation spectroscopic studies”, Journal of Applied Physics, 102 (2007) 103514. (IF: 2.3)
- Filed a patent titled “Zero rpm-Synthesized Tunable Plasmonic Hollow Silver Nanoshells in the Second Near-IR Window for Enhanced Solar-Catalysis” Application No.201931047638 A, Date of filing of Application :21/11/2019. Official Journal of the Patent Office (Govt. of India), Published on 20/12/2019, Issue No. 51/2019, Page No. 61412.
- Priyam, S. Ghosh, A. Datta, A. Chatterjee and A. Saha, “A brief overview on synthesis and size dependent photocatalytic behaviour of luminescent Semiconductor quantum dots” in “Recent Trends in Surface and Colloid Science”, Edited by Bidyut K. Paul, World Scientific Publishers, Singapore, 2012, page 271, ISBN: 978-981-4299-41-1
- Bhushan and A.Priyam, “Aliovalent Doping of Multiferroic BiFeO3 Nanoparticles for Enhanced Functionality”, in “Smart Ceramics”, Edted by Ajay K. Mishra, Pan Stanford, New York, 2018. Pages 187-223. ISBN: 978-135-1671-64-4
- Priyam, “Luminescent CdS and CdTe Quantum dots: Synthesis and Bio-applications”.Publisher: LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, Germany, 2012. ISBN: 978-3-8484-9788-1
Conference proceedings papers
- Singh, S. K. Mukherjee & A. Priyam, Supersaturation controlled aqueous synthesis of Mn-doped CdTe quantum dots with enhanced luminescence and monodispersity, AIP Conf. Proc. 1832, 050138 (2017)
- A Puhan, B Bhushan, D Rout, AK Nayak, A Priyam, Structural and optical properties of Ba, Cr Co-doped BiFeO3 multiferroic nanoparticles, AIP Conf. Proc. 1832, 050108 (2017)
- K. Dadhich, S Kailasa Ganapathi, A Priyam, Manmeet Kaur, AK Debnath, KP Muthe, SC Gadkari, ZnO nanotube array: Gas sensing properties at room temperature, AIP Conf. Proc. 1832, 050120 (2017)
- K. Dadhich, A.Saha and A.Priyam, “α-hydroxy acids mediated synthesis of hollow silver nanoshells and their optical properties” AIP Conf. Proc. 1731, pp. 050072 (2016)
- Kumar, A. Priyam*, R.K. Choubey,“Degree of supersaturation: An effective tool to control the luminescence efficiency and size distribution in CdTe quantum dots”, AIP Conf. Proc. 1536, pp. 231-232 (2013)
- Priyam, A.Chatterjee, S. C.Bhattacharaya and A,. Saha, Synthesis of biofuntionalized CdTe nanoparticles and its interaction possibilities with biomolecules. a, Trombay Symposium on Radiation and Photochemistry held at BARC, Mumbai on Jan 5-9, 2006.
- Chatterjee, A. Priyam, S.C. Bhattacharaya and A. Saha, Interaction of biofunctionalized CdS nanoparticles with nucleotides, Trombay Symposium on Radiation and Photochemistry held at BARC, Mumbai on Jan 5-9, 2006.
- Role of thiols in radiolytic synthesis of CdS nanoparticles: Aliphatic Vs Aromatic, A. Datta, Priyam, A. Saha, S. Chatterjee, A. K. Sinha, S. N. Bhattacharyya, Trombay Symposium on Radiation and Photochemistry held at BARC, Mumbai on Jan 5-9, 2006.
- Synthesis and spectral studies of cysteine capped CdS nanoparticles, Priyam, A. Chatterjee, S. K. Das and A. Saha, Trombay Symposium on Radiation and Photochemistry held at BARC, Mumbai on Jan 8-12, 2004.
- Invited by President Secretariat to participate in the meeting of National Innovation Clubs held at Rashtrapati Bhawan on 15-March-2016
- Made a science film with the students of B.Sc.-B.Ed. integrated programme, titled “Tap, Twist and Turn the PIEZO way to Smart Electricity” which has been shortlisted for screening and competition in the National Science Film Festival, NSFF 2016, to be held on Feb 9-13, 2016 at Nehru Science Centre and is being organized by Vigyan Prasar, DST, Govt. of India.
- Junior Research Fellowship by University Grants Commission, Govt. of India (subsequently upgraded to Senior Research Fellowship).
- Best paper presentation in International Symposium on Recent Trends in Surface and Colloid Science-2007, organized by Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata
- Best paper presentation in Trombay Symposium on Radiation and Photochemistry, 2006 held at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, organized by DAE-BRNS, Govt.of India.
- DST- SERB Fast Track Grant :
Funds approved: Rs. 27 Lakhs (Project completed in Feb 2017)
Project title: “Synthesis of photosensitizer-loaded metallic nanoshells and plasmonic modulation of singlet oxygen generation: towards developing a non-invasive, bimodal nano-therapeutic tool”
- DST Nano Mission Grant (Project term ended in 2017):
Funds approved: Rs. 48.4 Lakhs
Project Title: “Rational design of plasmon-engineered luminescence upconversion nanocrystals for multimodal imaging and therapy”
- CRS grant (UGC-DAE Consortium) (Project term ended in Dec. 2018):
Funds approved: 7.5 lakhs (approx.)
Project Title: “Gamma radiolytic synthesis of tunable plasmonic nanomaterials for biosensing and photothermal therapy”
- CRS grant (UGC-DAE Consortium) (Ongoing, Started in Jan 2020):
Funds approved: 9.5 lakhs (approx.)
Project Title: “Tunable magnetoplasmonic nanomaterials: radiation chemical synthesis and its applications in non-invasive theranostics for cancer”
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate- Florida State University, USA (2009-2010)
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow- National University of Singapore (2010-2011)
- Assistant Professor- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi (2011-2013)
- Assistant Professor- Central University of South Bihar, Gaya (2013-2019)
- Associate Professor- Central University of South Bihar, Gaya (2019-till date)