My research aims to use minerals as tools in the field of mineralogy, sedimentology and geochronology/thermochronology to solve and understand various geological problems. The thrust research areas in which I am working are source-to-sink linkage, sediment provenance study, paleo-drainage reconstruction and landscape evolution. I studied the provenance of Assam-Arakan Basin fluvial sedimentary units by integrating petrography, heavy mineral analysis, EPMA analysis for dense mineral chemistry and detrital zircon U-Pb dating. This sediment-source investigation showed the importance of provenance study in reconstructing the paleo-drainage evolution of the Brahmaputra River in the northeast Himalayas. Moreover, I also worked on low-temperature thermochronological studies (Apatite Fission Track dating) to determine the exhumation history of the Shillong Plateau.
- Publications :
- Rai, P., Borgohain, B., Mathew, G., Dev, J.A. and Tomson, J.K., 2021. Tale of Eastern Himalayan River captures and upper Assam uplift: The paleo Brahmaputra conundrum and migration. Basin Research (under revision).
- Tiwari, S.K., Beniest, A., Rai, P., Chatterjee, S., Daphale, R.V., Biswal, T.K., Yadav, A.K. and Kundu, S., 2022. Implication of dynamic recrystallization mechanism for the exhumation of lower crustal rocks: a case study in the shear zones of the Ambaji Granulite, NW India. Lithosphere, 2022, pp.1-17. https://doi.org/10.2113/2022/6593243
- Rai, P. and Mathew, G., 2021. Presence of detrital olivine and serpentine minerals in the Dihing unit of upper Assam: Implication towards the source, Journal of Earth System Science, 130, pp.1-15. DOI: 10.1007/s12040-021-01581-7
- Rai, P., Borgohain, B., Chettri, N. and Mathew, G., 2020. A comparative heavy mineral study of the Cenozoic sediments of Assam and Siwalik foreland basins, northeast Himalaya. Journal of Geological Society of India, 96(5), pp.475-484. DOI: 10.1007/s12594-020-1585-y
- Sinha, H.N., Preety, K., Rai, P., Mohanty, D. and Sarangi, S., 2017. The petroleum potential of the Arangi and Kajrahat Limestone formations from the Semri Group, Chopan, Uttar Pradesh, India. GeoResJ, 13, pp.59-65. DOI: 10.1016/j.grj.2017.02.002
- Awarded Institute Post-Doctoral Fellowship, IIT Bombay (2021).
- Awarded Teaching Assistant Fellowship for Ph.D. at IIT Bombay (2015).
- All-India Rank 24th (Lectureship) in National Eligibility Test (CSIR-NET) (2013).
- Ranked 1st in M. Sc. Applied Geology, University of Allahabad (2013).
- Presented poster on the enigma of Brahmaputra River paleo-course: Analysis based on field evidence and heavy mineral assemblages from Cenozoic deposits of Assam and Siwalik Basins, NE Himalaya at 3rd National Geo-Research Scholar Meet, WIHG, Dehradun, 6 -8th June 2019.
- Presented poster on Multiproxy records on the fluvial successions of Assam-Arakan Basin: Implication for paleo-drainage evolution at EGU2020-2358 EGU General Assembly 2020, 4-8th May 2020.
- Member Secretary of the Departmental Committees (DC), Department of Geology
- Member of Faculty Council, Department of Geology
- Member Secretary of the Department Placement Committee, Department of Geology
- Member of the Outreach Programme Committee, Department of Geology
- Delivered lecture on “Fission Track Thermochronology” during Protolith’s workshop at Department of Earth Sciences, IIT Bombay attended by the nationwide students (28-30 Dec, 2020).
- Delivered lecture on “Heavy minerals separation process and their use in provenance study” to the students of Protolith’s workshop on Thermochronology at Department of Earth Sciences, IIT Bombay (2017).
- As a Teaching Assistant conducted practical classes for M.Sc. (Geology) and B.Tech (Civil Engineering) students in two different courses at the Earth Sciences and Civil Engineering Departments of IIT Bombay.
- Volunteer during INDOROCK 2016 (6th Indian Rock Conference) Jointly organized by Indian Institute of Technology Bombay and Indian Society of Rock Mechanic held on 17-18th June, 2016 at IIT Bombay, Mumbai.
Courses teaching in current Semesters
Mineralogy and Crystallography, Metamorphic Petrology (Practical), Fuel Geology, Geophysical and Geological Exploration, Quaternary Geology
Administrative / Academic Responsibility
Professional Membership in Scientific Society
Member of European Geosciences Union (EGU) (Membership No. 541640)