Specialization : Evolutionary and population ecology of marine and freshwater zooplankton, Ecological impact assessment and restoration of degraded wetlands, Bio -control and Bioremediation
My research interest engenders Evolutionary and population ecology of marine and freshwater zooplankton, Ecological impact assessment and restoration of degraded wetlands, Bio -control and Bioremediation. I have successfully completed the research project on various environmental factors triggering formation resting stages, investigating various natural biofilters in the River Ganga and impacts of outfall discharge and nuclear power plant effluents on zooplankton community and Microhabitat types as determinants of community structure of meso and macro benthic invertebrates in River Ganga (from Buxar to Bahgalpur) and Yamuna (Delhi stretch). We have completed a comparative study of different aquatic predator’s ability to utilize mosquito larvae as food source in the presence of co-inhabitant alternative prey. The same has been widely cited and being used as baseline information for operational vector control program. Following species have been recorded from the local water bodies
- Ram Kumar, Sami Souissi, Jiang-Shiou Hwang (2012). Vulnerability of carp larvae to copepod predation as a function of larval age and body Aquaculture338-341: 274-283. (doi:10.1016/j.aquaculture.2012.01.001 (I.F. 2.1). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0044848612000026
- L.–C. Tseng, Ram Kumar, Q. –C. Chen, J. S. Hwang (2011). Faunal shift between two Copepod Congeners (Temora Discaudata and T. Turbinata) in the Vicinity of two Nuclear Power Plants in Southern East China Sea: Spatiotemporal patterns of population trajectories over a decade. Hydrobiologia 666: 301-315 (I. F. 1.76). http://www.springerlink.com/content/00g773tq57236316/
- L. –C. Tseng, Ram Kumar, Q.-C. Chen, J. –S. Hwang (2011) The summer distribution of Noctiluca and mesozooplankton abundance in the western and southern East China Sea before the Three Gorges Dam operation Hydrobiologia 666: 239-356(I. F. 1.76). http://www.springerlink.com/content/h03q87331225036j/
- Ram Kumar, Prasad, H-U. Dahms, L. C. Tseng, J. –S. Hwang (2008). Potential of three aquatic predators to control mosquitoes in the presence of alternative prey: a comparative experimental assessment. Marine & Freshwater Research 59: 817-835 (CSIRO Publication; IF 1.8)
- Ram Kumar and S. Hwang (2008). Ontogenetic Shifts in the Ability of the Cladoceran, Moina macrocopa STRAUS and Ceriodaphnia cornuta SARS to Utilize Ciliated Protists as Food Source International Review Hydrobiology 93:284-296 (Wiley –VCH; IF 1.6).
- L. C. Tseng, Ram Kumar, H. U. Dahms, C. T. Chen, S. Souissi, Q. C. Chen and J.-S. Hwang (2008). Copepod community structure over a marine outfall area in the northeastern South China Sea, Journal of the Marine Biological Association of UK. 88(5): 955-966. (Cambridge University Press; IF 1.2).
- Ram Kumar and J-S Hwang (2006) Larvicidal efficiency of aquatic predators: a perspective in mosquito Zoological Studies 45 (4): 447-466. (I.F. 0.88).
- Ram Kumar (2003): Effect of Mesocyclops thermocyclopoides (Copepoda, Cyclopoida) predation on population dynamics of different prey: a laboratory Journal of Freshwater Ecology18 (3): 383 – 393 (I.F. 0.41).
- Ram Kumar (2003): Effect of different food types on the post embryonic developmental rates and demographic parameters of Phyllodiaptomus blanci (Copepoda; Calanoida). Archive für 157: 351 – 377 (I.F. 2.12).
- Ram Kumar and R. Rao (1999). Demographic responses of adult Mesocyclops thermocyclopoides (Copepoda, Cyclopoida) to different plant and animal diets. Freshwater Biology 42: 487 – 501 (Wiley Blackwell; (IF 0.88)